The program 101
As you can see from this organization diagram, different program activities are provided by different agencies:
- Interior Health provides parent and pre-natal education, Healthy Families in-home visits, children’s blood lead testing, and other Family Health services.
- SNC-Lavalin Environment (on contract to Teck) delivers the Home & Garden Program. This includes Healthy Homes in-home visits and coordinates home renovation support and garden and yard soil programs. The lead-safe home renovation and soil management program are offered out of the Community Program Office at 1319 Bay Avenue. The Community Program Office also provides general information and referral about the program.
- Teck Trail Operations conducts emissions control; environmental monitoring; eco-system management; and remediation related to property development. Teck also contracts summer street sweeping in Rivervale.
- BC Ministry of Environment oversees Teck’s emissions reduction and environmental monitoring.
- City of Trail conducts street sweeping and spraying of dust suppressant on unpaved alleys within the city. Teck provides street sweeping and flushing in Rivervale.
- Program management and support is provided on contract to the Committee.
Different program elements apply to different geographic areas because we focus where we will have the biggest impact on reducing health risks. For example, the Family Health Program targets families of pre-schoolers in Trail and Rivervale because these are the areas where higher blood lead levels are more likely to occur.
Our program also looks for ways to extend services to other people who might want or need them. For instance, if you live in the Lower Columbia outside Trail or Rivervale, you may request blood lead testing for your children up to age 5. Also, the Lead Safe Renovation Program provides free supports throughout the Lower Columbia to renovators of older pre-1976 homes where lead-based paint may be an issue.
In 2019, we expanded our soil testing and remediation program. We offer soil testing and, in qualifying yards, replacement of soil or improvements to ground cover on a prioritized basis. For more information, click here.
We have a resource library with Fact Sheets on four program areas: Family Health, Home & Garden, Air Quality and Eco-system Management as well as an FAQ section that answers common questions. Please check out our program maps for the geographic areas covered by those services.
For more information on any of our services, please contact us.